Monday, February 28, 2011

Who's that pretty girl in that mirror there?

Each morning, as soon as I remember, I send a "thank you for this new day" out to the Universe. In the rush & hurry of daily life, it feels as if I have forgotten to be truly grateful for each & every new day. Another chance to do better. To get some things right. To learn a tough lesson or appreciate a simple beauty.

And quite honestly, there have been more than a few nights when I have been desperately grateful to be DONE with the day. The ones that feel too messy, too lonely, too overwhelming. So at those times, I try to remember that I am thankful for a safe place to curl up, close my eyes, and call it a day.

For the longest time, I did not notice any of those things. Sure, I felt "happy" when something good happened, or one of my kids was extra sweet or did something great at school, or when I got together with friends & we shared laughs & good times. But at some point, I had set my life on auto-pilot and disengaged.

That choice cost me my marriage, my sense of security & place in the world. It changed almost everything about life as I knew it. But it also brought me to this new place-where I haven't even begun to imagine all the things that might still be possible.

So here I am, neither at the beginning nor the end of things, but somewhere in all the glorious muck & muddle of the middle.

And I can't wait to get to know myself, because I have a feeling I'm going to love that woman in the mirror!

No comments:

Post a Comment